Tuesday, October 22, 2019
First Listen: New Releases for 18 October
Artist: Common Holly
Album: When I Say To You Black Lightning
Quick Description: New album from an indie favorite here.
Why You Should Listen: This is not the most accessible album, but that's what makes it great.
Overall Thoughts: Common Holly is odd, but leans into it. There are so many moments in this album that really just worked for me even if I couldn’t in good conscience recommend it to most people (hi there “Uuu”), but if you’re reading this you have a refined taste for adventure, so dive right in. I have no clue about the staying power of this record, but it’s been a while since I wanted to explore an album as much as I do this one.
Recommendation: Really interesting listen.
Album: There Existed an Addiction to Blood
Quick Description: Latest from the futuristic sci-fi rap collective.
Why You Should Listen: Great music, great lyrics, great everything.
Overall Thoughts: Yeah, there’s a lot of great rap music out lately, but then you get a new clipping. record and you realize how they’re just on another level. From instrumentation to performance to overall presentation, this is just so far beyond even the best rap albums of the year… yeah. Make time for this. It’s just too good to really describe, and probably the most impressive rap effort of the year.
Recommendation: A must-listen.
Artist: Harmony Woods
Album: Make Yourself at Home
Quick Description: Solid alt-rock.
Why You Should Listen: This sounds like stuff you love, with high production value and great songwriting.
Overall Thoughts: I highlight this because this is a week with some interesting, compelling listens but not a lot to say about them. To say I really liked this album is an understatement, for sure, but it's worth noting that Harmony Woods is not trying to reinvent the wheel with this effort, only make great music. And the music here is great, so in a week like this...
Recommendation: ...check it out.
* HXXS - Season of the Witch (Is industrial pop a thing? A fascinating listen.)
* Screaming Females - Singles Too (Singles/rarities comp. It’s fun!)
* Caroline Polachek - Pang (Chairlift singer, perfect late 80s/early 90s soft pop pastiche.)
* The Muffs - No Holiday (A great farewell to a great band.)
* Jake La Botz - They're Coming For Me (Solid off-center folk effort.)
* Zachary Lucky - Midwestern
* Nice Guys - Nice Guys
* Homeboy Sandman - Dust
* Benjamin Spike Saunders - Tonsil Wife
* GA-20 - Lonely Soul
* Rosa Bordallo - Reef Walker
* Vagabon - Vagabon
* Hollow Coves - Moments
* BT - Between Here and You
* Looking for Alaska Soundtrack
7 song albums:
* The Milk Carton Kids - The Only Ones
* Guerilla Toss - What Would The Odd Do?
* Basement Revolver - Wax and Digital
* Kitten - Goodbye Honeymoon Phase
* Highasakite - The Bare Romantic Vol. 1
* Joy Orbison - Sliping
* Barrie - Happy to Be Here
* Rob Halford - Celestial (It's a Christmas album!)
* Sufjan Stevens and Timo Andres - The Decalogue
* Anna Wise - As If It Were Forever
* La Neve - The Vital Chord
* Jeff Rosenstock - Thanks, Sorry!
* Behavior - Spirits and Embellishments
* Refused - War Music