Album: Blouse Club
Quick Thoughts: I tripped up on "Letter of Resignation" a few weeks back and fell for it hard. The anticipation on this album was warranted, as it's a nice hit of interesting and melodic punk with some great attitude and musicality. The songs are short, the band is tight, and this is just a great listen in a week full of them.
Songs of Note: "Letter of Resignation," "Big Shouty," "Pity Bra"
Album: Faults of Memory
Quick Thoughts: I wrote about this last week, and the only thing I have to add is that it gets better on each listen and might end up a favorite of the year. Don't miss it.
Songs of Note: "Whatever You Want," "Watching a Timer," "Fray"
Quick Thoughts: Carla Geneve has a mysterious air about her music. I don't know why that's where my mind goes whenever I listen to her, but she sounds like the soundtrack to a secret being hidden. As for this new album, if "Jesus Take the Wheel" doesn't work for you, I feel for your soul. This is a gorgeous listen from someone consistently great.
Songs of Note: "Drive Carefully," "Jesus Take the Wheel," "Bills," "Pisswreck"
Album: Blonde Venus
Quick Thoughts: As much as hyperpop was an underground attempt to subvert pop music, it's interesting how pop music continues to head in the hyper direction (and how many hyperpop acts are moving toward the mainstream). So, in a way, Sam Quealy is playing 4-D chess with this record, as it subverts pop expectations by leaning extremely hard into it. It's like shoehorn theory where it's so 'round the bend that it comes back around again, and I loved it. I don't think you can take a song like "BIG CAT" seriously, and yet this album demands some serious attention for its whole approach. A mandatory listen this week.
Songs of Note: "Watch Me Now," "Not a Dream," "Seven Swords," Valentine," "BIG CAT"
Quick Thoughts: Ages and ages ago, "W.I.F.I" popped up on some Spotify playlist and I loved it. To finally get a full-length that largely meets the expectations "W.I.F.I." set is impressive, with songs like "Choice" rivaling my favorites of the week. It's a busy week, but this deserves a spot in your rotation.
Songs of Note: "Gettin' Old Rock and Roll," "Choice," "W.I.F.I.," "I'm Okay"
Quick Thoughts: While the long-standing gimmick here is that these are "first time" reviews, I didn't realize how much Maybel grabbed me until a second listen earlier this week. This is some heavy, beautiful folk music featuring gorgeous Byrds-style harmonies and instrumentation that feels lush even in its lightness. A beautiful album and easily the best folk-adjacent record this week.
Songs of Note: "Ember," "Splinters," "Passing Through," "For Nothing"
Quick Thoughts: A shout-out this week to Iris Pope's debut EP, which is only five songs long but doesn't slouch. Every song rings true by no small part due to Pope's gorgeous vocals, and I can't wait to see what comes next for this singer-songwriter.
Songs of Note: "back to today," "7 am," "jack's song," "far from holy"
* Taylor Swift - 1989 (Taylor's Version)
* Deli Girls - Deli Girls
* King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - The Silver Cord
* l.ucas - How Am I Supposed to Feel?
* Naoise Roo - Emotionally Magnificent
* Mint Field - Aprender a Ser
* Simen Mitlid - Fredsvenn
* Hannah Rose Platt - Hypnagogia
* Duran Duran - Danse Macabre
* Gazelle Twin - Black Dog
* La Force - XO SKELETON
* Lucky Lo - The Big Feel
* Queen Serene - Queen Serene
* Misty Coast - Nevereverending
* WIES - Alles Anders
* Angie McMahon - Light, Dark, Light Again
* Golden Apples - Bananasugarfire
* Video Age - Away From the Castle
* Kloxii Li - Gentle Impermanence
* Viji - So Vanilla
* Flora Yin-Wong - Cold Reading
* Poppy - Zig
* The Kills - God Games
* Hinako Omori - stillness, softness...
* Robert Finley - Black Bayou
* Marina Herlop - Nekkuja
* Ilgen-Nur - It's All Happening
* The Gaslight Anthem - History Books
* Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Bauhaus Staircase
* ML Buch - Suntub
* Black Pumas - Chronicles of a Diamond
* Pony Girl - Laff It Off
* Katie Dey - never falter hero girl
* FIZZ - The Secret to Life
* DJ Shadow - Action Adventure
* Bobbing - Year of the Newt
* The Mountain Goats - Jenny From Thebes
* Nora Jane Struthers - Back to Cast Iron
* Lowertown - Skin of My Teeth
* Keita Sano - Love is Emotion EP
* Lilblackkids - Planet of the Blues: Part Two
* Shelf Lives - You Okay?
* Sigrid - The Hype
* Catie Turner - Comedy & Tragedy: Act 2
* Shabazz Palaces - Robed in Rareness
* George Riley - Satisfy You
* CONALL - PATIENT ZERO
* LSDream - LSDream Remix Series, Vol. 1
* The Paranoyds - I Like It Here
* Loyal Lobos - LOBA Vol. I
* Baby Tate - Baby Tate Presents - Sexploration: The Musical