Album: Chord of Sympathy
Quick Thoughts: This is some really solid indie rock this week. I enjoyed Supergiant, but it's been a while since we got new album-length material from the band. This latest effort doubles down on the soaring harmonies and interesting instrumental choices (the guitar in "Knife in the Trunk" is near-perfect), and results in an album that's a great and compelling listen. Make time for it. Songs of Note: "Knife in the Trunk," "Cassavettes"
Quick Thoughts: While the sort of disco/dance-tinged indie rock Twin Ritual presents here has taken a backseat in recent years, Allie is a great reminder that, when done right, it's a TON of fun. These songs will get stuck in your head in all the right ways, and it's one you don't want to miss. A lively, enjoyable listen.
Songs of Note: "Carrion," "Avantsion," "Metaphor"
Album: Angels in Science Fiction
Quick Thoughts: I liked what I've heard over the years from St. Paul and the Broken Bones, and I was looking forward to this latest album in particular. While it sometimes feels like it's a blues-infused Bon Iver, it works, and it's just song after song that grabs you and makes you want to listen that much closer. A great listen this week.
Songs of Note: "Sea Star," "South Dakota," "Easter Bunny"
Quick Thoughts: Best folk effort this week definitely comes from Cinder Well, who provides us a gorgeous album reminiscent of our favorites from Anna Tivel and Abigail Lapell. Between compelling vocals and haunting lyricism, this deserves a spot in your rotation this week. Definitely a strong highlight.
Songs of Note: "Cadence," "Crow"
Album: In Between Thoughts... A New World
Quick Thoughts: It took me a while to get on the Rodrigo y Gabriela bandwagon, but Mettavolution did the trick. The new album, however, changes things up a bit - instead of a wall of sound from two uber-talented guitarists, we get a backing ochestra to flesh out the instrumentals along the way. It's a little jarring to hear when you don't expect it, but by the end title track it all makes sense and you fall in love.
Songs of Note: "Egoland," "Descending to Nowhere," "Broken Rage," "In Between Thoughts...A New World"
Album: Among Other Things
Quick Thoughts: We love Bella White here, and I didn't want to lose this in the shuffle, as it really demonstrates why she's a favorite here and one of the better roots musicians out there. This one impresses in many ways, and is 100% worth your time in a busy-ish week.
Songs of Note: "Worth My While," "Break My Heart"
* Easy Star All-Stars - Ziggy Stardub (Reggae cover of Ziggy Stardust that is way more fun than it has any right to be.)
* ALL HANDS_MAKE LIGHT - "Darling the Dawn" (Project featuring members of Broken Social Scene and Godspeed You! Black Emperor.)
* Stefana Fratila - I Want to Leave This Earth Behind
* Ital Tek - Timeproof
* Esther Rose - Safe to Run
* Silver Moth - Black Bay
* Bridget Kearney - Snakes of Paradise
* Jain - The Fool
* ALMA - Time Machine
* Holiday Ghosts - Absolute Reality
* Lael Neale - Star Eaters Delight
* Doki Doki - Doki Doki
* Me:You - Field Tapes in Der Trash
* VirgoTwins - ArtSpace
* Everything But The Girl - Fuse
* Nice Guys - Coin
* Answerman - Black Light Poster
* Rezzett - Meant Like This
* Kaizo Slumber - How Are We Feeling Today?
* Pearl & the Oysters - Coast 2 Coast
* The National Honor Society - To All the Distance Between Us
* Benevola - Luz Guia
* Billy Tibbals - Stay Teenage
* Amanda X - Keepsake
* Sunshine Riot - Loud, Bright and Violent
* The Orb - H.O.M.E> (high orbs mini earths)
* Courtesy - Violence of the Moodboard
* Astrid S - Felt Cute Might Delete Later
* Carsie Blanton - Body of Work (Acoustic set.)
* Georgia Train - Live at the Hope and Ruin
* Girlhood - The Lowdown
* Brandie Blaze - Broken Rainbows
* The St. Pierre Snake Invasion - Galore
* HXSTAGE and CMTEN - dismissal
Post a Comment