Album: Big Time
Quick Thoughts: We've been fans of Angel Olsen for some time here, but this new album... wow. It's got a 70s-era folk feel to it that somehow understates the incredible songwriting across the whole album. This is an absolutely brilliant listen, and is one of the better releases of the year and of the week. If you're not on the bandwagon yet, not sure what you're waiting for.
Songs of Note: "All the Good Times," "Big Time," "Ghost On," "Chasing the Sun"
Album: Teeth Marks
Quick Thoughts: I know I listened to S.G. Goodman's debut when it came out a few years ago, but Ken sent over this follow-up and holy crap is it good. It has hints of indie and alt-rock singer-songwriting, and the overall pastiche makes something truly memorable and ultimately sets it apart from a lot of other music. Another brilliant listen in a busy week, and one I'm looking forward to getting back to.
Songs of Note: "All My Love is Coming Back to Me," "When You Say It," "Work Until I Die," "Dead Soldiers,"
Album: Editrix II: Editrix Goes to Hell
Quick Thoughts: Editrix is a challenge, but in all the right ways. This sort of mathy/prog/indie/rock stuff doesn't allow for a casual listen, and the opening tracks can make one feel like they are headed straight to hell with the band, but the important thing is that the weird works. The local-area trio defies pure description, and it's all the better for it.
Songs of Note: "Hieroglyphics," "I Can Hear It"
Album: White Jesus Black Problems
Quick Thoughts: Fantastic Negrito, the bluesy/R&B-tinged singer-songwriter, has never fully resonated with me. I don't know why, but that changed with White Jesus Black Problems, an album that doesn't hesitate in going after the commentary while also being a brilliant example of everything modern blues music can be. I regret to say that songs like "They Go Low" remind me of The White Stripes given how much The White Stripes borrowed from the blues tradition, but it just means you're getting some expert modern stuff here. This is so good, I'm looking forward to heading back to his back catalog. Do not miss out on this.
Songs of Note: "They Go Low," "Venomous Dogma," "You Better Have a Gun"
Album: Welcome 2 Club XIII
Quick Thoughts: Drive-By Truckers are a favorite in these parts, and the new album is one of their better efforts in a while, in my opinion. The sort of southern-fried gothic roots stuff we get from the band is on full display here, and there's just enough weight throughout to make this feel like something special. Even if you think you've made a decision on this band, give this a spin. You'll probably find a lot to love.
Songs of Note: "Maria's Awful Disclosures," "Forged in Hell and Heaven Sent"
Album: Maine Coon
Quick Thoughts: Wanted to give a shout-out to this album. I'll be completely honest: the only reason I even checked this out is because of the absurd title of the band's name (in a good way!), but what I didn't expect was to have more fun with this indie rock record than I've had with anything like it in some time. Reminds me of how I felt hearing The Apples in Stereo 20 years ago. Don't sleep on this.
Songs of Note: "In Tangerine," "Johnny + 1," "Serial Mama," "Troglodyte"
* Tove Styrke - HARD (Some awesome pop songs on here.)
* Just Mustard - Heart Under (There are a lot of awesome moments throughout this listen.) * Sweet Pill - Where the Heart Is (A lot of awesome moments here, too.) * Jaguar Jonze - BUNNY MODE (A promising debut in many regards.) * Chelsea Rose - Truth or Consequences
* Mint Green - All Girls Go to Heaven
* TheWorst - Yes Regrets
* fanclubwallet - You Have Got to Be Kidding Me
* The Sweet Things - Brown Leather
* Nataly Dawn - Gardenview
* girlcrush - i don't feel so good
* Horsegirl - Versions of Modern Performance
* Beth // James - Get Together
* Andrew Bird - Inside Problems
* Natalie Evans - Movements
* iamamiwhoami - Be Here Soon
* The Venomous Pinks - Vita Mors
* POLIÇA - Madness
* Ryan Lee Crosby - Winter Hill Blues
* Bo Burnham - The Inside Outtakes (Short and sweet, but a couple truly wonderful pieces here.)
* Gretchen Shea and The Middle Eight - Exit Fire
* Rachael Dadd - Flux Alchemy Part 2
* Hollow Hum - Smile
* SANNI - Kesken
* Le Youth - Hang On
* Slikback - 22122
* Bloodshot Bill - MIGHTY RAW, Vol. 1
* Purity Ring - graves