Album: Song Machine
Quick Thoughts: We've enjoyed the Exbats here for some time, and this new album, their first since the 2021 release, is a lot of fun. It's an interesting little record that feels fun throughout its runtime even when dealing with heavy topics, and it feels crisp and fresh. I really enjoyed this, and I'm glad we have new music from the duo.
Songs of Note: "To All The Mothers That I'd Like to Forgive," "You Got My Heart Hot," "Food Fight," "Cry About Me," "If I Knew"
Album: Last Days on Earth
Quick Thoughts: Onyon blew my mind this week. This debut album, which followed up an EP from Europe last year, is ostensibly categorized as post-punk but feels a lot different than that (probably because of the surf rock(?) elements). This one scratched a particular itch for me, but I got fully on board once "I Would Like to Eat the Newspaper" hit the radar. Definitely give this one a listen.
Songs of Note: "Talking Worms," "Goldie," "Blue Lagoon," "I Would Like to Eat the Newspaper," "Mower"
Album: Witch Weather
Quick Thoughts: This is a very indie, very DIY, very entertaining debut record from a duo in touch with the current worldwide mood while still embracing a timeless punkish sound. It balances the line between cool and camp nearly perfectly, and some songs are just perfect for spooky season. Don't miss this one.
Songs of Note: "Hazy," "Witching Hour," "Goth Beach Party," "Life is Great"
Quick Thoughts: While it feels like every indie punk act picked Friday the 13th to release their records, I wanted to make sure Juicebumps didn't get lost in the shuffle. Banger after banger, but also exactly what you'd expect from a band that wrote a song called "Edging in Heaven." Worth your time.
Songs of Note: "Scatterbrain," "Pisspants," "Slog," "Babyman"
Album: The Rot That Grows Inside My Chest
Quick Thoughts: Yes, it's another indie punk record, but this one in particular is probably my favorite of the week. The consistency from start to finish here is commendable, and I was continually surprised at how much I loved this. I am looking forward to getting back to this one this week, do not sleep on it at all.
Songs of Note: "Honey (And Other Sweet Things)," "Yoke," "Candy Apple," "Tennis Skirt"
Album: The Last Night of Sadness
Quick Thoughts: Jenn Champion fills a very particular musical niche for me, in that I am unsure if I listen to anyone else who does the sort of minimalist approach quite the same way. Champion is an expert on making the little feel big, and making what is ultimately thin instrumentation fill the gaps in the sound, and she does it so well. It's "less is more" personified and it rules.
Songs of Note: "Famous," "Graves," "Think About It (the turn)," "Jessica"
Album: The Darker The Shadow The Brighter The Light
Quick Thoughts: The Streets are back with Mike Skinner's first proper album in more than a decade. It's very mainstream-sounding, and we've come a long way from "Fit But You Know It." Regardless, a good listen from an act I'm glad is back with us - worth listening if you enjoy people pushing the boundaries of what rap music can be.
Songs of Note: "Not a Good Idea," "The Darker The Shadow The Brighter The Light," "Troubled Waters"
* The Dollyrots - Night Owls (Gave me Donnas vibes.)
* Twin Temple - God is Dead (Fun "Satanic Doo-Wop.")
* Goat - Medicine (There isn't a better psych-rock act going right now.)
* Wimps - City Lights
* Con Brio - Scream At It
* Maple Glider - I Get Into Trouble
* Roger Eno - The Skies, they shift like chords...
* Blush - Supercrush
* L'Rain - I Killed Your Dog
* MUNYA - Jardin
* Dream Nails - Doom Loop
* Molly Parden - Sacramented
* Kacey Johansing - Year Away
* Nicholas Burgess - Creepy Zeepy
* Helena Deland - Goodnight Summerland
* The Drums - Jonny
* Half Dream - Will I Still Bloom
* Squirrel Flower - Tomorrow's Fire
* Cosmetics - Baby
* Mendoza / Hoff / Revels - Echolocation
* Anna Hillburg - Tired Girls
* Doug Tuttle - Fearful Guitar
* Young Man in a Hurry - Actor Brought a Vice
* G Jones - Paths
* Damien Jurado - Motorcycle Madness
* Land of Talk - Performances
* Metric - Formentera II
* Faith Healer - The Hand That Fits The Glove
* Helvetia - The Clever North Wind
* How I Became Invisible - better, or the next best thing
* Hyperdawn - Hyperdawn
* Hooveriii - Pointe
* Pinkshift - suraksha
* Holly Humberstone - Paint My Bedroom Black
* HALEY - Hunca Munca
* shallow pools - I Think About It All the Time
* ††† - Goodnight, God Bless, I Love U, Delete
* La Rosa Noir - Arellano
* Terra Lightfoot - Healing Power
* Mary Bell - Cerbero
* Eardrummer - Eardrummer
* boygenius - the rest
* Storefront Church - Episodes
* COBRAH - SUCCUBUS
* EASYFUN - ACOUSTIC
* flyingfish - the way night falls
* Lemondrop - The Internet EP
* Peryl and Rodhad - KALLAIT
* QUEEF JERKY - QUEEF UNDERGROUND
* Dancer - As Well