Quick Thoughts: We loved Pony Hunt's debut when it came out almost five years ago. The follow-up gives me a lot of Lady Lamb vibes, but it's really a nice logical extension of a sound we love here. I found so much to enjoy about this one, and I probably could have added every song to the weekly playlist if I were so inclined. It's a little bit folk, a little bit country, and a more than a little awesome.
Songs of Note: "Pulse," "Stardust," "Who Are You," "Rising Sun," "Last Alive"
Album: Romantic Images
Quick Thoughts: Molly Burch is back with another winner. We both really liked First Flower, and this new one continues the trajectory of a multi-genre artist with a lot of positives going for her. This was super enjoyable on a whole, and should solidif Burch as a voice worth hearing.
Songs of Note: "Games," "Took a Minute"
Album: Love Drips and Gathers
Quick Thoughts: If Arcade Fire and Sleeper had a baby and raised it on indie psych pop, you might end up with Piroshka. It's got a lot of dreamy, hazy elements with many songs that stand out. This is one of the first ones I went back to this week, and it's great. If you're into the more shoegazey elements of indie rock, give this a listen.
Songs of Note:
Album: Another Life
Quick Thoughts: Roan Yellowthorn was recently featured in a collaborative effort with Alex Cameron covering "Islands in the Stream," and the duo's sophomore effort is a nice slice of roots-tinged poppy music. Jackie McLean's voice is the perfect companion to many of these songs, all of which run the gamut from alt-country to folk rock. It's a solid listen, and I'm glad I tripped up on it.
Songs of Note: "Stranger," "Little Love," "Neon Sign"
Album: The Internet
Quick Thoughts: This is truly wonderful. It has a nice retro synthy disco feel and a really strong aesthetic, and the songs are excellent, too. If you're a fan of Chromatics or any of the music from Twin Peaks, this is surely going to be something you love, but I do hope to hear more from Glüme soon.
Songs of Note: "What a Feeling," "Body," "Get Low"
* Shungudzo - I'm not a mother, but I have children (Solid genre-hopping album with lots of great moments.)
* The Peppermint Kicks - The Peppermint Kicks (Power poppish fun.)
* Fruit Bats - Siamese Dream (An interesting take on the Smashing Pumpkins breakthrough.)
* Descendents - 9th and Walnut (Album of unreleased recordings.)
* Tjo - Dispatches from the Drift
* Rodney Crowell - Triage
* Leon Bridges - Gold-Diggers Sound
* Emma-Jean Thackray - Yellow
* Christone "Kingfish" Ingram - 662
* Washington - Switches
* Samia - Scout
* Jamie Drake - Here Comes the Light (The B-Sides)
* Claire Rousay and More Eaze - An Afternoon Whine
* Future Islands - ALAYA Remixes EP 2
* The Jacklights - Drift
* Izzy Heltai - Day Plan (5 Songs Written 4 the End of the World)