Album: A Fistful of Peaches
Quick Thoughts: Been a fan of Black Honey for a bit, but wow, this album just blew me away. Lots of great rock songs from top to bottom and really not a bad listen in the bunch. In a heavy release week, this would be worth your time, never mind being one of the best of the spring.
Songs of Note: "Heavy," "Out of My Mind," "Rock Bottom," "Cut the Cord," "Weirdos"
Album: Artisans and Merchants
Quick Thoughts: I wanted to highlight this album because it's a very interesting listen this week. The best way I can describe it is if The War on Drugs was influenced more by 1980s/1990s college radio. It scratches a very specific itch for me, and I'm glad Ken sent it over to me. Really enjoyed this one.
Songs of Note: "Artisans and Merchants," "Grid," "Cold Coconuts"
Album: Yesterday is Here
Quick Thoughts: Angel Snow is a folkie type that we love here, with gorgeous and accessible songs that feel ethereal and light where other artists might trend a little darker. I was really into this listen, with song after song after song that impressed, and it deserves some time in your rotation this week.
Songs of Note: "Hold On," "Jayne's Blue Wish," "In Between Love," "Make It Rain," "Yesterday is Here"
Album: Praise a Lord Who Chews But Which Does Not Consume; (Or Simply, Hot Between Worlds)
Quick Thoughts: Yves Tumor is an act I've struggled to get into over the years, but I got hooked on "Jackie" from his 2001 EP and was excited for what came next. This album? Their best yet, with a confident alt-rock sensibility that sets it apart. The first three songs, especially "Lovely Sewer" and "Meteora Blues," set a tone that carries through the entire record, and it makes it one of my favorites of the week.
Songs of Note: "Lovely Sewer," "Meteora Blues," "Operator," "Echolalia," "Fear Evil Like Fire"
Album: 10,000 Gecs
Quick Thoughts: I shouldn't like 100 Gecs. I am An Old Person, part of The Problem, and 100 Gecs makes hyperpop (or, well, approaching/adjacent to hyperpop) music that is weird and strange and unlike anything else out there. 10,000 Gecs is by far their most accessible set of songs yet, but that isn't saying much - it's harsh and all over the place, but it works and that's critical. Yeah, sometimes it feels like a funhouse ska revival, and maybe you're over the blown-out speaker sound, but you're unlikely to hear anything quite like it. Worth your time.
Songs of Note: "Dumbest Girl Alive," "Hollywood Baby," "One Million Dollars," "I Got My Tooth Removed"
* deathcrash - Less (Gloomy and doomy in all the right ways.)
* The Band of Heathens - Simple Things
* Holy Moly and the Crackers - Solid Gold
* Death and Vanilla - Flicker
* Ailbhe Reddy - Endless Affair
* Moon Boots - Ride Away
* The Lost Days - In the Store
* Gretel Hanlyn - Head of the Love Club
* Flyying Colours - You Never Know
* Unknown Mortal Orchestra - V
* M83 - Fantasy
* Danny G and The Lasso - ASCENSION
* Genevieve Artadi - Forever Forever
* Emiliana Torrini and The Colorist Orchestra - Racing the Storm
* Fargo - Geli
* Matweeds - Hooligans in the Vestibule
* Quiz Show - Quiz Show
* Lake Haze - Coordinates of a Decaying World
* Tomer Baruch - Intercellular
* FIDLAR - That's Life
* kendall lujan - kendall lujan
* Django Django - Off Planet Part 2
* Daoi Freyr - I'm Making An Album 1/3
* Rachael Dadd - The Bridge
* Starcrawler - Acoustic Sessions
* Jodie Langford - Chaos of Time
* Brooke Bentham - Caring
* Ni'jah - Swarm
* Princess Nokia - I Love You But This Is Goodbye
* Tei Chi - BAD PREMONITION
* Jayla Kai - The Short Song Project II
* Maruja - Knocknarea
* Nuha Ruby Ra - Machine Like Me
* GA-20 - Live in Loveland
* Moderat - EVEN MORE D4TA
* Daddy Long Legs - Street Sermons
Post a Comment